Not only does your best fur-iend need physical exercise, but it’s also important for your dog or cat to exercise their brain. A bored pet will become destructive and possibly even chew up your favorite shoes! Mental stimulation is beneficial to your pet’s overall well-being. Here are some DIY games from our fur-iends Loki and Lambeau to play with your dog or cat to ensure they exercise their brain.
Muffin Tin Puzzle
- Begin with an empty muffin tin and some tennis balls and toys
- Put your favorite treats in each cup within the tin; we like to use a variety of treats including Vital Essentials Rabbit Bites, Lamb Treats and Duck Nibs
- Place a tennis ball or toy on top of each cup within the tin
Egg Carton Puzzle
- Begin with a cardboard egg carton and some mini tennis balls
- Cut out each individual egg compartment and stuff with your favorite treats
- Top with a mini tennis ball
- Hide around the house!
Variations: Try it without a tennis ball, just flipped onto the ground so your pet has to flip the carton over to get the treat. For pet’s less experienced, try leaving the carton flipped up so they can see the treats. Make it easy at first by not using a ball and placing in easy-to-find areas, then make it harder by hiding it!
- Grab a blanket or towel
- Remove your pets from the blanket
- Place your favorite treats on the blanket and fold over.
- Hide treats throughout the blanket in different areas and fold a couple times hot dog style then one time in from the left and one time in from the right.
- If this is too hard, don’t do as many folds and fluff it up a bit or try using a smaller towel
- Let you pet snuffle!
To learn more pet care tips and tricks, check out our other Blog Posts, follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter or visit the Vital Essentials Website and enter your email to receive exclusive offers.