❄ 12 Days of Christmas–DAY 9 ❄
Christmas is supposed to be the most magical time of the year, but for some people and pets, it is not. Although it is important to give back all year round, it is even more impactful during the holiday season.
Not only does giving back make us feel good, but it also benefits the community. You may never know the full impact of your generosity, but it could be invaluable to others. So what can you do to give back? As you go about your holiday shopping, consider picking up an extra gift to donate this season. Shelters for both people and pets are often in need of many items. Here is a list of some common items to donate to area homeless shelters, food pantries and animal shelters:
- Non-perishable food (for people or pets)
- Hygiene items
- School supplies
- Toys (for people or pets)
- Bottled water
- Wet wipes
- First aid kits
If you’re not able to donate to your local shelter or food pantry, there are still other ways to give back to your community that cost little to nothing.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter cleaning cages or walking dogs
- Make cards and send them to residents in nursing homes
- Volunteer at a food pantry
- Use social media to share a fundraiser for a nonprofit organization
- Pick up groceries for an elderly neighbor
- Clean up litter in your neighborhood
- Raise and train a puppy for a service dog organization to be used for an individual in need
- Volunteer to do lawn care for an individual who is unable
- Foster a cat or dog in need until a permanent home can be found
- Donate used books to your local library or a Little Free Library
- Spend time petting or brushing cats at a humane society
- Use Amazon Smile to donate to your favorite charity at no cost while shopping
At Vital Essentials, we find ways to help out our community throughout the year with our Giving Back program. This year, we donated $100,000 to Wisconsin nonprofits and started a Vital Relief to encourage others to donate if they’re able. We also sent out care packages of pet food and treats to those in need, and we held a companywide school supply drive to help local homeless children with needed supplies. Every holiday season we also partner with Ben’s Wish program to help solve food insecurity among families with school aged children.
No matter how you choose to give back this holiday season, it’s sure to benefit your community and warm your heart. Share this article on social media to encourage others to share the love this season, and follow us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest so you’ll be the first to know about all our 12 Days of Christmas content.
Vital Essentials would like to give back to YOU! Just sign up for our email list and you’ll be entered to win a $250 value Christmas Surprise for your raw fed dog or cat. You’ll also get a special Christmas bonus for signing up, and we’ll send you deals and coupons all year long. It’s the gift that keeps on giving!